Jim Weidner began his legal career in 1987 with the law firm of Drew, Eckl & Farnham, a large insurance defense firm in Atlanta, Georgia.
-In 1988, he began working as an associate with Jack Carey and Chris Walker in Gainesville, Georgia.
-On January 1, 1990, Carey & Walker merged with the law firm of Deal & Jarrard to form the law firm Carey, Deal, Jarrard & Walker. Nathan Deal, one of Jim’s former law partners, was elected to the U.S. Congress in November 1992 and when Nathan withdrew from the practice of law, the partnership became Carey, Jarrard & Walker. (Nathan was elected as the 82nd Governor of the State of Georgia in 2010, an office to which he was re-elected in 2014).
-On March 1, 1998, Jim moved his practice to Clarkesville, Georgia as a sole practitioner.
-On January 1, 2006, he formed his law partnership with William R. “Bill” Oliver.
-In January 2010, retired Chief Superior Court Judge for the Mountain Judicial Circuit, Ernest H. “Bucky” Woods, III joined the firm.
Jim Weidner was born in Buffalo, New York, on February 15, 1960. He graduated cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1982 with a joint degree in History and Political Science. He moved to Atlanta, Georgia, in 1982 and graduated from Georgia State University’s College of Law in 1987. Jim worked full-time as a clerk with the FBI in Atlanta while attending law school.
Jim is admitted to:
- The State Bar of Georgia (1987);
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (1987);
- The United States 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (1987);
- The United States Supreme Court (1993);
- The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (1997); and
- The Mountain Judicial Bar Association (1998);
Jim concentrates his practice in personal injury and wrongful death litigation, residential and commercial real estate, estate planning, wills, trusts, power of attorney, adoptions, and business and commercial litigation.
- Habersham County Board of Education (2003-2007)
- By Governor J. Nathan Deal to the Georgia Superior Court Clerks Cooperative Authority (GSCCCA) (2012-present);
- Member, United Way of Habersham County, Board of Directors (2001-2009; & 2011 to the present);
- Chairman, United Way Board of Directors (2003, 2004, 2014-2016);
- Member of Habersham Medical Center Foundation (2001-2016);
- Member of Clarkesville Business Association (1999-Present);
- Member of Habersham County Chamber of Commerce (1998-Present);
- Member of White County Chamber of Commerce (2004-Present); and
- Member of Kiwanis International (1992-2016).
- Trustee, Tallulah Falls School, Tallulah Falls, Georgia, (2012-2016); Secretary of the Board (2014 to the present); Member of the Executive Committee and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees; and
- Organizing Director and Secretary for Southern Bancorp, Inc.; and Organizing Director of Southern Bank & Trust, (2005).